Skip to main content

KDrama Review: Gu Family Book

How are you guys doing? You know, I have not written a long review since I watched Fashion King (you won’t find the review but just know that it was not good and you’ll end up feeling cheated). Anyway, this review is about the Gu Family Book.



The cast consist of a few of my favorites: Lee Seoung Gi, King to Hearts; Choi Jin Hyuk, Panda and Hedgehog; Bae Suzy (who was good in Big and who started out sort of bland in this drama ended up giving a semi standing ovation in later episodes. Yes, she got better) Sung Joon, who was the lead in Shut up Flower Boy Band (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and shall I say, new favorites? Like, Lee Sung Jae who was a horrible demon in this drama but an excellent actor over all. I hated him so much in Gu that I kept punching my pillow imagining it as his face. He was that good! Lee Yoo Bi was great in her part, although the writer did make her a tad wishy washy or indecisive. I mean you had a guy, whom you liked, that was obviously into you and you ignored him multiple times which does not give you the right to get jealous when he finally gives on you. Just saying. The rest of the cast, were just superb, and I do mean all of them.

Starting from Episode one to twenty four without giving out all the juice will be difficult. It starts out with epic romance between a gorgeous gumiho (Choi Jin Hyuk as Gu Wol Ryung) and a noble-tress (Lee Yeon Hee as Seo Hwa).  Episode one and two were probably the best starting episodes of any K-drama that I have ever seen. It begins with a backstory: After their nobleman father is unfairly accused of being a traitor and killed, Yoon Seo-hwa, her younger brother Jung-yoon, who is played by Lee David; and their maid, Dam (Kim Bo-mi) are sent to a gisaeng house. Upon arrival, Seo Hwa began refusing to work as a gisaeng, and as a result, is stripped of her clothes and tied to a "shame" tree, as it was called. At this point, I didn't feel too sorry for Seo, she insulted the head gisaeng. I mean, that was a bit uncalled for, dontcha think?

Soon, she, Seo Hwa meets Gu Wol Ryung. To me, this was an ill-advised meeting. I mean, seriously, what woman in her right mind would do that to a man who would go through lengths to protect her??? What did she do? She betrayed him. How? That is for you to find out.  But I will say that she was not deserving of such a gentle husband. Okay, so maybe he did tell an unnecessary lie, but understand it was to protect her emotionally. But I think Wol Ryung should have just told the truth. What truth? That is for you to find out.
In the ending of the final episode, I found myself wanting to know more! The writer left us hanging. That calls for a part two of Gu.  We have a 442 year old gumiho, who is looking might tasty, tastier than he did 442 years ago, and everyone is reincarnated; now I want to see what happens next. Therefore, I want to ask the writer, Kang Eun Kyung, you ARE writing the second season of Gu Family book 21st Century, RIGHT?? Wol Ryung, DOES come back, right???

We find ourselves falling madly for the cast (especially the eye candies) and their skill at portraying their characters well.  But it leaves out questions, even though some were answered, about what will happen if….

Kang Eun Kyung of King of Bakers did an excellent job here in this drama series.  I did like King of Bakers and do think that is was great, however, I will insist that Gu Fanily Book is her best yet. I would say that this is a well casted, well executed drama. Eun Kyung, you have my support for Gu Family Book 2.

Click here to watch the first episode.   To watch all twenty four episodes: Gu Family Book - 구가의 서 - Korea - TV Shows - Viki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a True Tomboy.

The Classic Style: Bianca Jagger! :) Bianca Jagger What these women have on are the wedge pant suits. I used to love these (and still do), why? Because it looks cool. Lol. No, really, it is simply the fact that I am a tomboy that I just fall in love with men's clothing coupled with women's wear, I look freaking sexy. LOL! I am just being silly... Never wore skirts nor ever showed some skin. But of course, I would wear them considering the occasions. I can probably relate more to Katharine Hepburn. She definitely had my sense of style. But I think people might question this kind of style, non? As I read Jaynie's blog page about Katrine Hepburn , I wondered what might really go on in people's mind. Anyway. Here is a taste of what Hepburn's style is:
I am thinking...and strongly desiring to get started in starting a business. But if you know me, I am pretty much all over the place. I have my sights set on getting in to fashion and beginning my own fashion label. Right now I am in research stage and looking for funding. So it is in the slowest process. Extremely slow... sad face. I got the strongest urge/motivation after working/volunteering (whichever you choose to call it) at Bodeoo.com . Which specializes mostly in club wear (they had ready to wear clothing and we made clothes too).  I am not into club wear, nor will I ever be, but it was definitely fun to make. From Bodeoo.com and no I did not design this. Unfortunately, I don't work there anymore because they moved back to California. Sigh...oh well. It was great working there. I had much fun and was able to gain some experience in "made to orders" stuff and also reformation of clothing. I took lots of photos of some of the outfits I constructed and even